Not too long ago, carbon monoxide (CO) detectors were only for people who had sophisticated alarm systems in their homes. Today, most families are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and have at least one CO detector in their home.
The best-prepared households have CO detectors installed on every level of their home, including one next to their heating equipment. This is the safest way to protect your loved ones from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.
Every home—whether it’s a single-family home, duplex, or apartment—should have a carbon monoxide detector. The number of detectors you should purchase and install depends on the size and layout of your home.
Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on a wall about 5 feet above the floor. The reason behind this is that carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and is often carried via warm, rising air.
Do not install it next to a fireplace or other flame-producing appliance. It should be kept out of direct reach of pets or children, and—ideally—every floor should have its own detector. If you are buying one CO detector, place it near your sleeping area and ensure the alarm is loud enough that it will wake you up.
There are a wide variety of CO detectors available on the market, ranging from battery-operated ones to systems that function as part of your fire detection system.
One of the best ways to determine which carbon monoxide detector works best for your home is to consult with Gleason & Elfering's team of experts. If you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide detection in your home, contact us.
Whether you’re worried about the health of your current heating system, the potential for CO exposure in your home, or need regular maintenance to ensure everything is working properly, Gleason & Elfering can help protect your North Illinois home. Our professional, experienced service technicians are more than ready to answer questions about heating and air conditioning in the following areas and more:
To schedule your appointment with one of our HVAC specialists, call us today.